Monday, May 18, 2015

Pine Tree Trail


Pine Tree Trail

Hicks Run, Pennsylvania

"Pine Tree Trail"  The name seems so innocuous, doesn't it?  Like one should expect an easy jog, under the shade of old growth pines, while admiring the forest floor coming to life after a long, cold winter, with ferns and trillium flowers peeking up through the dead leaves of fall...                                                                                                                                 This, my friends is a half-truth.  Shade... check.  New wild plants emerging... check.  Easy jog... not so much!  This run kicked my butt!  I ran 1.5 miles to get to the trail head, then the first 3/4 of a mile were ALL UP HILL.  Like up the side of a mountain... about 800 vertical feet.  Once I made it up to the top of the hill, the area was relatively flat, so I could FLY!  Scooter and I had a blast hurdling logs, negotiating interspersed rocks, and dodging a few rain drops.  I ended up with a total for the day of 6.34 miles in 1 hour and 16 minutes, not too shabby!    
This beautiful and challenging trial is located in the heart of the Pennsylvania Wilds, more information can be found here if you would like to try out your mountain climbing muscles!

New Ferns!


Scooter and I after the hill climb!


No comments:

Post a Comment